Re: What makes an Oracle DataBase tick ?

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_saturn.planet.net>
Date: 1997/05/22

If you can get a copy of the Oracle Concepts manual, that would give you a grounding in the fundamentals. The Oracle Press DBA references are an excellent place to start filling in details. You can order them via Oracle's web site (www.oracle.com). They also have some white papers on there covering various aspects of their technology.

hth -

Regards,
jh

cr_at_post.dk wrote:
: As the company I work for, is thinking about being more DBA-aware, I
: would very much like to know more about the inner-workings of an
: Oracle DataBase.

: I'm particularly interested in learning about

: - Why some DB's perform well, while others don't
: - What causes this
: - How does the optimizer work
: - Strengths & Weaknesses and how to exploit & overcome them
: - Any other information that will enable me to pose intelligent
: questions to our suppliers, who design our physical DB's
: - What-ever you think might be usefull for a person interested
: the performance & design aspects of Oracle DataBases...

: Where can I find this kind of information ???

: Information about ;

: - Books, articles, FAQ's, White Paper's, Web-Sites etc.

: is extremely welcome !!!

: TIA - Christian

: http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

--
Jared Hecker - CODBA      |  ** HWA, Inc. **   Oracle and Sybase
jared_at_hwai.com            |    database architecture and administration