Re: comments in the database. How to avoid/remove?

From: Mirwais Qader <mq_at_wohl.slh.wisc.edu>
Date: 1997/05/21

Cast, Lda wrote:

> I have a database created via sql scripts.
> These scripts are commented like:
> create table xpto
> ( a number, -- this is a number
> b varchar2(100) -- this is another thing
> );
>
> When I exported the database and imported to another tablespace, I've
> got an error like "missing right parentesis".
> The problem is the -- comment, and the format of the export, where
> everything is a single line, so after the first -- everything is a
> comment.
>
> How can I export the tables without the comments ?
> Or, how can I import without the errors ?
> (even if I import with "ignore errors", still have a blocking error)
> Or, how can I remove the comments from the table definition in the
> database?
>
> I'm using Oracle Server 7.3.2.2.0 (almost upgrading to 7.3.2.3)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jose Raposo
> Cast, Lda

I can't answer your question directly, but I use the following format and
it works for me.

REM * If the Oracle Apps or multi-byte characters are not necessary, use
REM * "US7ASCII".
REM *
REM * maxdatafiles  1022 /* OS specific value by default; set high to
reduce */
                         /* limitation problems. */
REM * maxlogfiles     32

create database train
maxdatafiles 200 /* reserver slots in control file for x# of datafiles*/
maxlogfiles 12 /* total number of GROUPS;change only by re-creating DB */
maxloghistory 1600
maxlogmembers 5 /* number of log files PER GROUP */ maxinstances 1
character set "US7ASCII"

datafile             /* SYSTEM datafile must be at least 2MB */
        '/oracle/mnt03/oradata/train/system01.dbf'      size   75m
logfile
        group 1 ('/oracle/mnt01/oradata/train/redo01a.log',
                 '/oracle/mnt03/oradata/train/redo01b.log')     size
1M,
        group 2 ('/oracle/mnt01/oradata/train/redo02a.log',
                 '/oracle/mnt03/oradata/train/redo02b.log')     size
1M;
REM     group 3 ('/oracle/mnt02/oradata/train/redo03a.log',
REM              '/oracle/mnt04/oradata/train/redo03b.log')     size
1M; Received on Wed May 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT