Re: UNIX or NT

From: Doug Surplus <dougs_at_sedona.net>
Date: 1997/05/21

On Fri, 16 May 1997 17:05:43 -0500, Brett Neumeier <bogus_at_address.for.spam> wrote:

We have been ruinning a 30+ user production database (Oracle 7.3.2.2.1) on NT 3.5.1 since November. Both the database and the server have been suprisingly stable - only 1 unexplained lockup (the server just froze in the middle of the night).

My only compliants on NT center around management tools and the lack of a good OS shell a la UNIX. On UNIX, I could automate anything with the shell, awk and other native utilities. NT gives you the same old DOS batch language and the at command (similar to cron, but not as flexible). I have as yet to get automated exports of my databases, although I have been able to run shutdown and startup scripts from within Arcserve's pre and post job options.

I think the key to running Oracle on NT is to have at least 256MB of RAM and lots of disk. Having two processors on our box seems to help also.

Even though we have had good success on NT, I would still prefer UNIX for my database server. On a decent UNIX box (Sun, Sequent, RS6000 etc.) performance is good, the OS is stable and either the tools are there or can be written quite easily. I believe that we have just been fortunate not to experience many problems with NT.