Oracle Web Listeners seem to crash

From: Mark Miller <mmille10_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/05/20

The system we are using is Oracle7 Release 7.3.2.1.0 for SCO Open Server Release 5. I am using the web server and application-building set of packages that came with it. I've heard from my manager that the version I'm using is probably Web Server 1.0, or something.

The problem I am having with it is the web listeners I set up seem to go into a strange state on a daily basis. Sometimes this happens more than once a day. I do not know yet what causes it to happen. The symptoms are as follows:

I go into the Oracle Web Administration Utility, using my Netscape browser. I go into Web Listener Configuration, and enter my username and password. It comes up with its listener configuration screen, but no listeners are listed, and I know that I have two listeners running!

The way I have solved this is to stop each web listener and start them over again. This usually solves the problem, for the time being. Another interesting thing is usually when I stop a web listener, it prints a message saying "SIGTERM received." and "Server is exiting". When the listeners are in their "bad" state, I get no output when I stop them. I don't know why.

Another instance where this has happened is I try one of my web application suites that I created. The first screen I get is a static html document. I type in some information, and hit the "submit" button, and I get a message saying something like "Unable to process request. Try again later." I don't know if this is a standard message from the listener, or a standard message from Netscape when a CGI call fails. In any case, if I stop and restart the web listener, my CGI call gets processed appropriately.

All of my CGI calls work through the Oracle Web Agent. On our system, the OWA is invoked through a CGI call, like "http://<address>:<port>/ows-bin/owa/<pl/sql name>... . This causes the Oracle Web listener to execute "owa" to process the CGI request.

Any help would be appreciated.

---Mark
mmiller_at_nyx.net Received on Tue May 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT