Re: Dead Cllient Connection Cleanup

From: Manoj Appully <manoj.appully_at_bridge.bellsouth.com>
Date: 1997/05/20

TONY, GAST wrote:

> As most places that have PCs connecting to Oracle, we have users that
> ocaisionally submit long running queries. Thinking that their PC is
> hung up, instead that their query is bad, they shut down and/or power
> off their computers. This leaves the query still running. Are there
> any settings in the Oracle instance, or the UNIX server that can be set
> to help out with this? The Oracel server is running on SunOS 5.5.1

TONY , Oracle has the DCD (Dead Connection Detection) capabilities. You can activate this by setting the -

sqlnet.expire_time = n

where n = number of idle minutes in which the re-booted PC connection will be severed.

This would go into the SQLNET.ORA file. Set the above parameter and reload the listener and check out if things work out as u wanted them to.

As it depends on the TCP KEEP_ALIVE the time when the connection is dropped may vary depending on ur platform.

Manoj Appully Received on Tue May 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT