Re: Error code ORA-12203

From: Timo Haatainen <timoha_at_mylly.carel.fi>
Date: 1997/05/20

christian_at_pipeline.dk wrote:

> Is there anyone who knows what error code ora-12203 means and what I can
> do about it ?
> I get this error while trying to connect to an RS/6000 oracle db 7.0.

oerr ora 12203 (on Oracle 7.2.2.3) gives:

12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"

// *Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.
// This error can also occur because of underlying network transport
// problems.
// *Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command line
// was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node and
// that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct.
// Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are
// up and running.

Check out the SQL*Net v2 configuration on client (tnsnames.ora) and on server (listener.ora).
Use tnsping on client to test the connection to server.

--

Timo Haatainen
Carelcomp Forest Oy