Re: Renamed db refuses SQL*Net connection

From: Manoj Appully <manoj.appully_at_bridge.bellsouth.com>
Date: 1997/05/20

Leng Kaing wrote:

 Hello all,

 Env: OSF 3.2, RDBMS 7.3.2.1, SQL*Net 2.3.2.1

 My database has just been renamed by recreating the controlfile.  Now I've found that not only is the global_name not  reflecting the new database name, now I can't connect to it via  sql*net. I can connect to new database using a direct connection  "sqlplus /" and when querying v$database I can see the new database  name. But when I do "sqlplus /@new" it fails with ORA-00472: PMON  process terminated with error. This error also occurs on any client  that wishes to connect to the new db view sql*net. No, we're not  using Oracle Names, just plain old sql*net.

 Doing a "ps-fe | grep pmon" shows that pmon is certainly alive. And  there are no trace files generated, or any entries in the alert.log.

 I've restarted the listener (with the new name) and bounced the  database a couple of times already. TNSNAMES.ORA has also been  changed. So the question for you guys out there is: after renaming a  database, did you have problems connecting via sql*net?

 Thanks.
> Leng.
> -------
> Leng Kaing - leng_at_comsense.com
> Common Sense Consulting
> Tel: +61-3-9885-5829 Fax: +61-3-9885-0116
> VOUG: http://dingo.vut.edu.au/voug

Leng,

Just a possibility that you might have missed this -

alter database rename global_name to <new_db_name.ur_domain_name>;

Try this.

Manoj Appully Received on Tue May 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT