Re: ** Want a new DELETE command **

From: Doug Anderson <dathedba_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/05/20

Chris Ellis <cellis_at_iol.ie> wrote:
>Hang on.
>If your delete fails after 8173 rows having done 30 commits along the
>way, what is the state of your table? Which rows were deleted? Does a
>roll back (which can only be to the last commit) leave you better off or
>worse off?
>No. I think I'll stick with statement-level transactions / commit units.

Think about a HUGE table used in a data-warehouse. It has very few dependencies on any other tables in the database. It also has to be purged of old rows periodically.

I don't care what the state is after 8173 rows. I just want to get rid of a select series of rows.

Also, one other thing. If you didn't want to use the 'COMMIT AFTER n ROWS' syntax, you wouldn't have to. Kind of like truncating a table... you don't have to put on the 'DROP STORAGE' clause. You're not keeping people from still sticking with statement-level transactions by adding a new syntax to handle grouping.

This is an ADDITION TO not a REPLACEMENT OF request.