Re: Oracle Replication vs SQL*Server

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_>
Date: 1997/05/20

Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com> wrote in article <01bc6480$086fd6f0$368285ce_at_sprintmail>...
> Oracle has more options than Sql*Server.
>
> You probably want to look at using Snapshots. These should work just fine
> if you don't need the ability to perform updates.

With Oracle 7.3 (enterprise, not Workgroup editions) you can have updateable snapshots, as well as multi-master replication. Its complicated to set up--read the manuals very carefully and thoroughly. On some platforms, Oracle have a tool (Replication Manager) to assist in the setup and management; its not perfect, alas, but useful.

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd