Installing Oracle WorkGroup Server on NT workstation and error TNS12154

From: osako <osako_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/05/18

Hello World,

Has anyone been successful with installing and running WorkGroup Server 7.3 for NT on NT workstation software (not the server version of NT)?

We are proposing doing this on a high end workstation as a temporary measure while we wait for a new server class machine and NT server software. This will allow us to immediately start getting familiar with Oracle and its tool set. Appears that there is a lot to learn.

We installed the oracle server product without any error messages. Afterwards, everything appears to be working except for a few problems. (1) We get the error message "TNS12154 TNS could not resolve service name", (2) can not connect to the database using ODBC, and (3) can not successfully install the repository manager. We were successful with SQL Net Easy Configuration in setting up a Database Alias

It is interesting to know that we can access the Oracle sample database from another remote workstation via SQL Plus 3.3; for example we can login, do a "SELECT * FROM DEMO.CUSTOMER" and able to list out the entire table.

We are have used the Network Manager and Net Fetch to generate the Listener.ora Tnsnames.ora, and Topology.ora; we are experienced at odbc configurations. We are out of ideas. We think it may have something to do with NOT being installed on NT server software, but not sure.

Any ideas, comments, and/or suggestions would be appreciated. In advance, thank you Received on Sun May 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT