HELP! Multi-threaded Pro*C apps in DTP system

From: Dmitri Saveliev <saveliev_at_dialogbank.com>
Date: 1997/05/18

Hello All,

Have any of you ever developed multi-threaded Pro*C applications in DTP architecture, i.e. using Oracle as an XA-compliant resource manager? I have the following environment:

Orbix 2.1 MT + Transarc OTS for Orbix (special version of Encina) + Oracle7.3

and I wonder what rules do I have to obey for writing MT servers in such environment. In Oracle Pro*C precompiler guide I’ve found description of how to develop MT apps using so called runtime contexts, but I'’m afraid the runtime contexts are not applicable with DTP applications since RCs suppose that the program explicitly connects to Oracle and with DTP applications connections to Oracle are established within the code of the transaction monitor (via xa_open calls on Oracle’s XA switch). There is also a small section called "XA library thread safety" in Oracle Distributed Systems manual, but it does not contain enough information.

Probably I could forget about runtime contexts, since within each thread in my experimental application, OTS (Encina library) automatically connects to Oracle and after that each thread uses only its own dedicated connection. But then how do I use MT-safe versions of some SQLLIB functions as described in Pro*C guide which require a pointer to runtime context as an extra parameter?

Thank you,

Dmitri Saveliev Received on Sun May 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT