Re: BLOB questions

From: Doug Anderson <dathedba_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/05/16

rjschulzsj_at_aol.com (RJSchulzSJ) wrote:
>you can only insert blobs (pics, docs like WinWord-Objects ...) with a front end like ms-access with f.e. odbc!
>There arenĀ“t any other possibilities!

   I'm using SQL*Loader to load BLOBs currently. There are some gotchas though. All my BLOB data is guaranteed to not have CR/LF characters embedded in them. This allows Loader to separate rows from each other.

   Also, SQL*Loader is too stupid to allow you to load variable length BLOBs. In other words, the control file must declare the exact length of the BLOB coming in. If every row is a different size, then Loader will append NULLs to make up the space.

   To get around this, I have a SQL function call to trim trailing NULLs in the control file. However, this will only work for BLOBs which are 1,000 bytes or less in size because of the VARCHAR2 limiting size of 2,000 bytes.

   If anyone is still interested, I can explain in more detail.

-Doug Anderson
 Oracle Database Adminstrator
 DAtheDBA_at_mindspring.com

I never know when my editor will attach another signature. Strange isn't it?