Re: Newbie seeking help on performance tuning - Oracle 7.3 Server, NT4, Dual PPro 180, 64Meg

From: Pete Beer <beer_at_foresight-sys.com>
Date: 1997/05/16

Startup, shutdown and other dba commands are only available in servermanager as of 7.3. Enterprise managers' instance manager can also be used.

You need to connect as internal to startup/shutdown. It also sounds like the parameter file you want to use is not being found. You can specify exactly where to find it using STARTUP PFILE='path+filename' .

The default parameter file on NT machines is found in ORANT\DATABASE and must have a name of init<SID>.ora, where "<SID>" = the name of the database instance. The default SID for the default oracle database is ORCL which would make the startup parameter file initORCL.ora.

I have found you must be careful to specify the database instance you want to work with in SVRMGR (really any DBA tool) if you are running multiple instances.

--
Pete Beer
beer_at_foresight-sys.com

WPL <lao2_at_total.net> wrote in article <33772c55.1727053_at_news.total.net>...