Newbie Qs on instances and tablespaces

From: Steffen Krause <skrause_at_informatik.hu-berlin.de>
Date: 1997/05/15

I'm completely new to Oracle, but since last Friday I also have to care for an Oracle WG server 7.3 on NT4. I do have some experience with MS SQL and SQL in general.
After looking thru the documentation, here are my questions:

  1. Is it good practice to create one instance per application?
  2. Do I really need to specify all that storage arguments when creating tablespaces and rollback segments? This is for small databases (about 50-100MByte), mostly batch processing and report creation.
  3. Are there some rules of thumb for sizing the tablespaces for an instance?
  4. And for rollback segments? Should all rollback segments be within one tablespace? What should be the size relation between the rollback tablespace and the contained rollback segments
  5. What tablespaces should I create? According to the doc: system (automatically created), rollback, sort (=temp) and data. OK? How do I assign the tasks to the tablespaces, e.g. so that user tables are automatically created in data, temp data in temp?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Steffen

Steffen Krause skrause_at_informatik.hu-berlin.de Dipl.-Inf, MCSE
But wherever we go we will always know
that the land we stand on is never our own Received on Thu May 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT