Simple DBA question - Users

From: Carol L. Stimmel <cstimme_at_advtech.uswest.com>
Date: 1997/05/14

Hi,

I'm not a trained Oracle DBA (Was trained in Informix DSA, but I'm finding not a lot translates). Anyway, I've inherited a server that contains several databases in one instance of 7.2.3. There are users defined that are assigned to only one of the many databases. I have several related questions, as I try to recreate a similar scenario.

I want to create a new database in a new tablespace:

create database mydbname
datafile '/local/datafile/data_01.dbf'
size 2M;

To execute this successfully, It appears I need to be connected internally. Does the database need to be in any specific mode for me to accomplish this?

Then, I want to create a user that can only log into this database. Now I'm stuck:

create user myuser identified by password default tablespace '/local/datafile/data_01.dbf'

This is clearly not enough! How do I restrict this user to "mydbname"?

Also, which system tables can I look at to see which users are restricted to what databases?

Thanks in advance!

--
Carol Stimmel
cstimme_at_advtech.uswest.com          	Pager: (303) 234-3059