Re: BITMAP INDEX doesn't work on our Oracle server 7.3.2.3.0

From: <andrew.nelson_at_astramerck.com>
Date: 1997/05/14

In article <01bc605f$87f0dc00$7921d882_at_jian-ma-pc>,   "Jian Ma" <jma007_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi experts out there:
>
> We have got a Oracle Server 7.3.2.3.0 running on a IBM RS6000/csaix single
> CPU system. Everythingelse is fine.
>
> But when we try to create BITMAP INDEX in the system, the SQL statement
> even can not pass the parser, say BITMAP failed to be recognised as a
> keyword. According to your article, Oracle should start to provide BITMAP
> index from 7.3.2.2
>
> Could you give me any tips on what's wrong with us?
>
> Following is the system information and the SQL statement to create the
> BITMAP INDEX

> SQL> exit
> Disconnected from Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.0 - Production Release
> PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.3.0 - Production
> $

> SQL> get create_bitmap_index
> 1 CREATE BITMAP INDEX flight_bitmap_index_price ON flight(price)
> 2 TABLESPACE tbspc_jianma
> 3 STORAGE (INITIAL 20K
> 4 NEXT 20K
> 5 PCTINCREASE 75)
> 6* PCTFREE 0;
> SQL> /
> CREATE BITMAP INDEX flight_bitmap_index_price ON flight(price)
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command
>
> We can create other INDEXes correctly.
>
> Thank you for any help
>
> =======================================
> 2 B or not 2 B, it's the question of ____?
>
> Jian Ma
> jma007_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz
> jianma_at_codeworks.gen.nz

Put the following lines in your init.ora file then shutdown and restart your instance:

event = "10111 trace name context forever"
event = "10112 trace name context forever"
event = "10114 trace name context forever"

Note that the double quotes are necessary.

The CREATE BITMAP INDEX syntax will work on the HP-UX platform without these entries in init.ora. However, I have recently been told that bitmap index corruption is a possibility. Therefore, it is now recommended to have these three lines in the init.ora file.