BITMAP INDEX doesn't work on our Oracle server 7.3.2.3.0

From: Jian Ma <jma007_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 1997/05/14

Hi experts out there:

We have got a Oracle Server 7.3.2.3.0 running on a IBM RS6000/csaix single CPU system. Everythingelse is fine.

But when we try to create BITMAP INDEX in the system, the SQL statement even can not pass the parser, say BITMAP failed to be recognised as a keyword. According to your article, Oracle should start to provide BITMAP index from 7.3.2.2

Could you give me any tips on what's wrong with us?

Following is the system information and the SQL statement to create the BITMAP INDEX

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.0 - Production Release PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.3.0 - Production
$

SQL> get create_bitmap_index
  1 CREATE BITMAP INDEX flight_bitmap_index_price ON flight(price)
  2      TABLESPACE tbspc_jianma
  3      STORAGE (INITIAL 20K
  4          NEXT 20K
  5          PCTINCREASE 75)
  6*     PCTFREE 0;

SQL> /
CREATE BITMAP INDEX flight_bitmap_index_price ON flight(price)

              *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command

We can create other INDEXes correctly.

Thank you for any help

2 B or not 2 B, it's the question of ____?

Jian Ma
jma007_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz
jianma_at_codeworks.gen.nz Received on Wed May 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT