Re: Redo's with cold backup

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1997/05/14

--

The point/issue of your last comment is "consistent".  You can restore any datafile from
a hot or cold backup and roll it forward to the current point in time if you have all

If you didn't loose the "current" control files in the crash, use them.  They will get
that cold/hot datafile back to "current".

If you lost the "current" control files in the crash, use the output from the "alter
database backup controlfile to 'filename'" command (you doooooooo run one with each hot
and cold backup don't you?!!!) as your control file.  This control file allows you to do
what I call an open ended recovery.  The control file doesn't know the highest
scn/archive# so it will prompt you for archives until you run out, cancel the recovery,
and open the database resetting the redo's.  The use of the "backup controlfile" is more
or less the same as what Oracle now calls a standby database.  In 7.3 they added a few
commands to jazz it up, but it's still the same game.

I hope this helps, if not, e-mail me your phone#, I'll call, we'll talk.

brian.maclean_at_teldta.com

I think I've got the hang of it now .... :w  :q  :wq  :wq! ^d  X exit ^X^C ~.
system X Q  :quitbye  CtrlAltDel  ~~q  :~q  logout  save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZ
man help ^C ^c help exit ?Quit ?q CtrlShftDel "Hey, what does this button d..."