Re: any certified ORACLE DBAs?

From: Neil Chandler <oracle_at_tchp2.tcamuk.stratus.com>
Date: 1997/05/14

In article <3373B010.5FEB_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu>, AMARENDRA B NETTEM wrote:
>Cleve wrote:
>>
>> Oleg Dimerman <olegd_at_oeonline.com> wrote in article
>> <3370B5C1.73A1_at_oeonline.com>...
>> > I am looking into ORACLE DBA certification - could you please
>> > share your experiences?
>> >
>> > how difficult is it?
>> I believe that in order to gain your Oracle DBA Masters Certification:
>> (1) You need to have a lot of money (for classes)
>> (2) You need to take 5+ classes totalling about 18 days
>> (3) Then get yourself a DBA job.
>> That may be relatively difficult.
>>
>> > industry recognition?
>> Yes, it is well recognized in the Oracle world
>>
>> > how many people are certified?
>> Quite a number of Oracle developers and administrators are.
>>
>> I'm not, because I haven't got the money to do it yet.
>>
>> Cleve
>Hi,
>Yesterday I took the Oracle7 DBA certification exam in Chicago.
>Reading and understanding of SERVER ADMINISTRARTOR GUIDE, SERVER
>CONCEPTS MANUAL and SERVER UTILITIES GUIDE manuals is sufficient to
>pass the pass the exam . By the way I passed the exam.

Nonsense. Reading 3 books is NOT sufficient to pass the exam. I would have to strongly question you posting this. The DBA exam is not exceptionally hard, but you have to understand all of the fundamental areas of DBA work. All of these areas are most certainly NOT covered by the 3 books listed above. What about Backup & Recovery. At 20% of an exam, where the pass mark is mooted to be about 70%, you would have to answer almost everything else correctly. Admittedly, you do not need to do all of the courses if your practical experience is sufficient. I took the exam quite some time ago, and passed.

I would recommend buying:
Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration. ISBN:0-07-882241-6

This book dedicates 2 chapters to the exam, with 2 practice tests. This should let you know whether you are ready to take the test or not and give you some good advice, all for only $40.

regards

Neil Chandler
Oracle DBA V6, V7 (certified) 1996
SQL/DS DBA (certified) 1989

My views are my own. Received on Wed May 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT