Re: Help: 2.0 : How can I capture Oracle errors in MS Access 2.0

From: Martin Schroeder <ms_at_dream.hb.north.de>
Date: 1997/05/12

In <5l5f04$q41$2_at_news.ececs.uc.edu> medams_at_ucunix.san.uc.edu (SRINIVASA MEDAM) writes:
>Hi,

>I am using Oracle as attached tables in Access. Oracle database has
>triggers, primary keys, roles, etc related to the tables for different
>users. How would I capture oracle error message and display it in a
>better way. For example, EMPLOYEE table has EMPLOYEE_ID (number) column
>as primary key. If someone tries insert a duplicate in EMPLYEE_ID column
>Oracle returns an error, saying unique constraint constraint EMPLOYEE_PK.

>My intention is, how can I capture this oracle error in an access form and
>display it to the user something like "The EMPLOYEE_ID you entered
><entered_id> already exists, please choose a different EMPLOYEE_ID".
>I am sure some of you might have dealt with this problem. I really
>appreciate if someone can help me with an idea or direction.

You can catch these errors with the errorhandlers of Access; you should also include an errorhandler for the form. Look up the KnowledgeBase; it has an article on catching ODBC errors.

Best regards

        Martin

P.S.: F'up!

--
               Martin Schr"oder, MS_at_Dream.HB.North.DE
Internet: Thousands of people mostly unaware of the sight and sound