Re: Newbie seeking help on performance tuning - Oracle 7.3 Server, NT4, Dual PPro 180, 64Meg

From: WPL <lao2_at_total.net>
Date: 1997/05/12

Thanks, people, for helping.

I have determined that my SGA is only 7Megs. With the 20meg database, it's not enough. I played with the instance manager and try to change the startup parameters, but oracle doesn't seem to like it. Here is what I did.

I first tried to login sys or system as SYSDBA or SYSOPER, but according to instance manager i didn't have the right to shutdown/startup. Some people have suggested to me to use INTERNAL to login. It worked, for shutdown. But when I tried to use instance manager to startup.. it complained about insufficient privilege again. I was able to startup the DB again, by either rebooting the system, or from SVRMGR using STARTUP command without any parameter.

Rebooting the computer did not change the running value, even if the startup value has been changed. STARTUP command used the default parameters, therefore ignores the init.ora

thanks again! Received on Mon May 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT