Re: Does Oracle and OpenVMS VAX have a future???

From: RYoung <ryoung_at_summer.dbsol.com>
Date: 1997/05/11

Many people are 'Unix' enamored....hec...I personally like Unix best as well...HONEST!!!....but in a business setting, where dependabilty and long term 'track record' counts a great deal, and where being down can cost you $1M/minute (no joke on this one according to Citibank DBAs I have spoken to), VMS still beats out all the Unix flavors. It is not the fastest, it is not the easiest to work with, but its security and dependabilty have been tuned over a period of 'umpteen' years. NT is too little and too new, Unix too fragmented and too iffy at the security side of things for some of the 'high end' financial jobs where you are talking BIG BIG DOLLARS.

Think of it this way....add up the number of times you NT and Unix boxes have gone down in the last 2 years, and then figure the $1M dollar/minute fee if they had been running Citibank. Then think of whose 'hide' managment would take losses from....

Douglas Scott <dsscott_at_gte.net> wrote in article <5kljdd$knc$1_at_news10.gte.net>...