Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: A Shelton <ashelton_at_numbat.cs.rmit.EDU.AU>
Date: 1997/05/09

bryan_at_panix.com (Bryan Althaus) writes:

>In any case, I see alot of Solaris Sparc servers and workstations with
>PPRO/Pentium PC's running Solaris x86 and WABI. This way you still
>got your windows apps when you need them.

Or you could run linux WABI, or even perhaps wine.

>Not gonna happen. Because Oracle, Informix, and Sybase are in this game
>for not only the money, but the contracts. How many Linux people will
>pay UNIX prices for an RDBMS? Oracle cost thousands of dollars.

>When your done buying your raid drives and Oracle and etc. the cost
>of the OS is meaningless. At that point why run Linux?

Same question could be applied to NT. It would be nice to have the oracle development suite run on linux, I don't know about the DBMS.

--
Apparently I'm insane, but I'm one of the happy kinds. (dilbert)
Andrew Shelton               s9406182_at_yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au