Re: Super easy ? for you gurus

From: Dave Mausner <dmausner_at_brauntech.com>
Date: 1997/05/09

In article <33734135.6BF8_at_saxe.com>, JP Soria <jpsoria_at_saxe.com> wrote:
>Our database is actually a datawarehouse 300+ gig. We are not
 running
>in archivelog mode.
>My question: Why does the database need to be shutdown in order to
>perform a backup?

if the db has NO changes, then you need only one backup at the time the db is loaded.

if the db has SOME changes and you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode, then you have no choice but to shut the db in order to obtain consistent backups.

you can always obtain inconsistent backups by performing exports, which of course require a running db.

Dave Mausner, Managing Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago. Received on Fri May 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT