Problems with installing the trial WG7.3 on a SS5

From: Chin Fang <fangchin_at_jessica.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 1997/05/09

I downloaded from Oracle web site the 60 day trail version of Oracle Workgroup server 7.3.2.3.0 for Solaris SPARC, and attempted to install it first on my personal Sun machine, a SS5 110 Mhz with 96 MB RAM, and run Solaris 2.5.1.

The error message that I got is attached below. It's the same after several attempts, including manually setting the environment variables mentioned in the server/orainst/orainst shell scripts, even changing the TERM setting of the installation xterm to vt100!

I also found out that running Openwin or not didn't make any difference. Using xterm or not didn't make any difference either.

I would be grateful for any hints/pointers as to how I can overcome this installation problem. Please email.

Thanks,

Chin Fang
fangchin_at_jessica.stanford.edu

# ./wgstart
Starting the Oracle7 Workgroup Server Installation Process....

   Linking files. This will take a few minutes.    Linking /src/database/ora7/oracle#1/server to /tmp/linkwg

Doing pre-installation set...
Creating wgsuser for you...
Creating oracle7 user for you...
Performing Oracle7 Workgroup Server Installation...

A problem occurred with the Oracle Installer. Try reinstalling it from distribution media. Or, you can provide the following message to Support to debug the problem:

  User Interface Failure: Window System Startup

end of running orainst.............
Installation Cancelled...