Re: Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/05/09

Craig Shaver (craig_at_ProGroup.com) wrote:
: I have had good luck with Oracle 7 on solaris 2.5.1 x86, but I have not
: pressed it hard yet. The installation was a bitch, and most of the
: problems with installation are Oracle's fault. Email or post for help
: if you go that route. Hint -- don't use solaris ISS or motif installer.

I found the install to be a breeze, certainly no harder than the install on any other platform. I never use the motif tools as I don't find them too reliable on all the platforms I use.

: Buy good equipment if you go with intel boxes.

Very good advice and don't skimp on the memory. I'm running a mixed Sol x86 and NT4.0 environment at home for development purposes and have found that both databases work OK for my needs - few connections, small-medium amounts of data and the odd time when the server is hit hard.

One saving grace with NT is that the DBI/DBD modules for PERL5 are now available so we can all write Oraperl(esque) scripts - yipee !

IAP

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with