Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: Michael Peck <mjpeck_at_convex.hp.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

Timothy Watson wrote:

> In article <5ksobd$hvb_at_panix.com> bryan_at_panix.com (Bryan Althaus) writes:
> > Call me when an IDE like Java Workshop or Visual Workshop C++ show
> > up on Linux. This is professional tools for professionals. And what
>
> As Java Workshop is written entirely in Java, and the JDK kit 1.0.2 is
> available for Linux (1.1 expected at the end of the month or so), why
> wouldn't it run? I don't know so much about it, but given the
> parameters above, are you just taking a shot in the dark, or do you
> actually KNOW that it won't run on Linux? Did you try it to see?

JWS absolutely does run on Linux. It requires a short wrapper script to avoid system incompatibilities, but other than that it works fine with the Solaris version. Would someone please call the original poster and let him know his order is ready?

The script (and instructions for installing it) can be found at

http://www.linuxnow.com/cgi-bin/getdocs?doc=Java-WorkShop

MJP

--
Michael J. Peck