Re: When not to use a DB? (Was: Re: What DB to use for lots of IMAGE files?)

From: OlOtto <olotto_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

Hallo,

I can not agree in all points. We also develop a application with lots of images and documents. Our first version use BLOBS to store the data because it is much easier to handle and thought that we do not have the problem that a filename is stored in the database and the file is possible not there anymore.

But now after a few weeks using the database (we use SQL Base) we find out that the perfomance is to bad. The Clients can load the images or documents a lot faster (abouzt 2 or 3 times). This was very important for us so it was the right step.

The secound point you discribe is that it is not possible to modify the images automaticaly. Why not ..? We use the OLE/DDE function to control the application loading and modifying the images...that is some work while programming but it works.

Hope to read more statements...see you, Oliver Received on Thu May 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT