Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: Colin Smith <colin_at_mellifluous.europe.dg.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

In article <Pine.SUN.3.96.970507102645.18519A-100000_at_access5.digex.net>,

        REX BALLARD <rballard_at_access5.digex.net> writes:
:>
:>
:> On Wed, 7 May 1997, R!ch wrote:
:>

>> On Wed, 7 May 1997, REX BALLARD wrote:
>>
>> A lot of nice reasoning snipped, for brevity.  I must contest this, howver:
>>
>> > Finally, Sun alienated the rest of the Unix Consortium, creating rival
>> > OSF/1 and encouraging customers to "hold out" for OSF/1.  By the time
>> > OSF/1 arrived (1992), Microsoft was announcing that Windows NT, a "better
>>
>> Actually, it was DEC and friends that created the OSF, in response to
>> Sun and AT & T joining forces (for SVR4 I believe).  Although some nice
>> technologies emerged, I think the split was a big mistake.

:>
:> This was unclear. What I meant to say was that SUN so overplayed their
:> hand, claiming that SPArc would be the ONLY blessed AT&T architecture,
:> that their competitors formed OSF. The UI and OSF conflict gave Mr Gates
:> the time to complete NT and perpetuate Windows for almost 6 years without
:> a major UNIX competitor.
:>
>> I just wish that all the UNIX vendors would stop the infighting (for the
>> timebeing, anyway!), and unite against the common enemy: Micro$oft.
>> Hopefully, Java will provide the tool to do this...

:>
:> It is very likely that the combination of Java and Linux will cut deeply
:> into the traditional MS-Windows Markets. Java will lure existing users
:> out of the traditional Microsoft Only environments, NC will generate a
:> market for "Low End an dEntry Level" users, Linux will support the middle
:> range and low end server market. Unix will then have a base of support in
:> the Sun, AIX, SGI, and HP environments.
:>
:> Linux, particularly Red Hat, has set a new standard in user friendly
:> configuration. The existing UNIX community will want to compete at that
:> level (Imagine a "Plug & Play Solaris").
:>

I think Linux is going to hurt the big name unixes more and more in the near future. They may not be able to compete and to be honest I think they deserve everything they get.

I mean why bother with Sun or Dec if you can do the same job for a fraction of the price on a PC running Red Hat or Caldera Linux? SCO is already feeling the pinch.

Linux is cutting across all the markets. PC, low-med Unix. The big problems will start when Oracle & the other major DB vendors start to release the Linux versions of their flagship products.

--
Archeus Free FRPG - http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3002/
Colin Smith (colin_at_mellifluous.europe.dg.com)