SQL Net question...

From: Vijay Damodaran <vijayd_at_nortel.com>
Date: 1997/05/06

I have a database application running on a server in subnet A in Dallas. Can a person in subnet B in England access the database via SQL*Net?

We have developed an application using Developer 2000 which must be deployed at both sites. We have the following options:

  1. Deploy the GUI on client machines in England which will access the database in Dallas via SQL*Net. Is this possible?
  2. Create a similar database server in England and have enable replication between the 2 databases. But, somebody in England says that do replication is 6 times more costly (I do not know what she means by this - money or time or n/w traffic). Is this true?

We feel that using option 1 would make the application very slow. But the costs may make option 2 prohibitive.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

VJ.

--