Re: UNIX or NT

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com.no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/05/06

Oracle, in partnership with Compaq, have made available the Oracle System Sizer, which assists you in determining your hardware requirements based upon the needs of your application.

The description of this software is:

Using information that is readily available to the database administrator, the Oracle System Sizer produces a recommendation for a basic system configuration including the server model, the number of disks required, and the amount of memory required to run a database application. This simplifies a process that is normally complicated and eliminates the need for detailed knowledge of the database engine and its interactions with the hardware and the operating system. If you'd like more information about the Oracle System Sizer, read the documentation or the frequently asked questions.

You can find out more and download the Oracle System Sizer at:

        http://www.oracle.com/platforms/compaq/html/sizer.html

Good luck!

On Mon, 05 May 1997 15:09:25 -0700, Naushi Hussain <hussain_at_alliedsignal.com> wrote:

>How many max processors can NT work on. To handle an ORACLE DB 100gb of database
>and 200 users
>I would need e.g. 4 to 8 processors of an HP server with free UNIX with it. It
>would cost me $45000. How would I compare using NT to accomplish the same.Would I
>need to more hardware to handle the same db size or same.
>
>Any suggestion will be appreciated.
>
>--
>Naushi Hussain Naushi.Hussain_at_alliedsignal.com

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Enabling the Information Age through
Oracle Government                Network Computing!
Bethesda, MD                  http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com          http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue May 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT