Re: Multiple Instances of ORACLE

From: Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1997/05/06

On Mon, 05 May 1997 19:10:15 GMT, gmlewis_at_ix.netcom.com (Gerald M. Lewis) wrote:

>We are in the process of developing an application that provides
>Multi-Company support.
>
>The technical issue that we face is whether to include all records for
>all companies in a single instance of ORACLE or to place each
>companies database in their own instance of ORACLE.
>
>Any help or past experiences with this type of issue would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>Jerry

Sorry, I had to remove some of your posting in order to respond.

The answer is that it depends on your choice. I would recommend a single SID. Maintenance will be considerably less. You could create each company as a different user (schema). This would allow you to manage each company as different systems, but manage the database as a single instance. By creating a single SID, you will have less - though not significantly - processes associated with a single SID. Backups, recovery and other database administrative issues will be easier. Be sure to build the database, memory requirements and file allocations based on the user community and not for a single company. You may also want to consider a mixture of the two.

Sheilah Scheurich
DBA
scheuric_at_sprynet.com Received on Tue May 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT