Re: Opinions Wanted on Oracle for NT

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/05/06

mwagoner_at_iac.net (Mark Wagoner) writes:

>Your first problem is trying to make NT more Unix like. You have to use
>the strenths each platform has to offer. And, what does mail have to do
>with Oracle?

Did you read my entire articel? I use the standard Unix mail program from within PL/SQL procedures to mail myself automated daily reports. 'mail' does have alot to do with Oracle. If your application does not require it then please dont assume that this would be the case with everybody else also.

>If you want email buy a POP server. By the way, NT comes

How will a POP server make NT receive email? POP server is supposed to let users retrieve email from server machine using the POP protocol. You obviously dont know what you are talking about.

>with an email client.

Oh yeah. What is that email client and how can I tell my PL/SQL procedures to use it to send email to various people at 1:00AM every morning with various reports they need?

>>Also I am typing this message from Buffalo, NY and the posting nntp server is in
>>Starkville, MS over a secure (ssh) connection, also have sqlplus fired up
>>in another 'screen' session on the remote machine and editing some PL/SQL code
>>and also am modifying crontab data in a different 'screen' session. I do it all
>>the time. I depend on it. How would you do this under NT?

>It is clear you have never used NT or you would know that this is possible.

It is clear that you have no idea what I was talking about. I have way passed the old days of copying files from one machine to another. I do interactive work from remote locations over encrypted connections, with existing or freely available software. You probably dont even know what ssh is! Or screen Or ....

>I am in my office in Cincinnati and I routinely dial into customer sights
>in LA, Vancouver, Chicago, etc. I can copy a file to the server's
>harddrive (or any other client on the remote network, if security allows
>it) while I simultaneously query the customer's database and our test
>database.

>As I said, the capabilities are very similar between NT and Unix, just the
>scale at which they can be delivered. If you would put your emotions aside
>and actually try an NT box, you would see that it is Unix's baby brother.

I have been using NT since its first release 3.5! And from what I have read so far from your posts, makes me fairly certain that I know more about NT than you do. I have the NT server 4.0 on one of my home machines. I feel that its a pretty OS for worstation use. Only die-hard Windows fans even think about using it as a server platform.

>As another poster mentioned, NT is relativly new but in a few years it will
>be a much greater force to contend with.

I am not a fortune-teller, I cant say what would be the greater force in a few years. When I am evaluating an OS, I have to see what it offers now and NOT what a great force it might be a few years from now. As far as I am concerned NT is a joke as a server OS. Make that a bad joke.

>Hate Microsoft all you want (I am not Bill's biggest fan), but the
>technologicaly superior product does not always win out. If it did, Linux
>would be on everybody's desktop and we wouldn't be having this
>conversation. The name of the game is ultimately money (unless you work in
>acadamia) so you have to go where the cash flows. And that, right now, is
>Microsoft. You can't just ignore NT.

Again, I do not choose an OS because it may make me more money. I only look at their capabilities. NT is a much hyped OS. Alot of companies will pay top dollars to NT consultants. This however means nothing to me! I will test all available options and pick the best available. Linux beat the crap out of everything, but lacks Oracle. Until Linux gets Oracle, I am using and recommending Solaris X86 for Oracle.

P.S. I have noticed that most of the people defending NT are not really very familiar with what Solaris X86 has to offer.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Tue May 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT