Re: SQL*Net and NT 4.0

From: Tony Noble <tnoble_at_mt.gov>
Date: 1997/05/06

In article <33690E95.20C7DCDB_at_spacelab.net>, hkim_at_spacelab.net says...

>Howdy,
>
>I've been trying to configure SQL*Net server where I've installed
>Personal Oracle 7 for NT, which is supposed to be easy, but fails
>miserably.
>
>I have used Easy SQL*Net config. to set up a database alias, and after
>starting the listener up, I tnsping it and it comes out okay. However,
>when I try to connect to it via SQL*Plus for example, I get an internal
>TNS error.
>
>I'm running the client and server on the same machine for testing
>purposes, but this ERROR: ORA-12196: TNS:received an error from TNS
>keeps popping up.
>
>I believe I've configured the tnsnames.ora (via Easy SQL*Net config) and
>listener.ora correctly. The TNS error messages seem to be in a separate
>document for OS specific errors, but as of yet I have not yet found the
>error descriptions.
>
>Am I missing an obvious step here? According to the SQL*Net docs, this
>should be painless. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>--
>hkim_at_spacelab.net Redshift
>Technologies Inc.

I may be wrong here, but i though Personal Oracle for NT only uses Named Pipes protocol. And can only be accessed from the same machine that it is running on. So do you need a listener? Do you need to install the named pipes protocol adapter? I haven't installed PO7 in a year and a half so my memory is fuzzy.

--
Tony Noble
tnoble_at_mt.gov