Re: Designer 2000 & Developer 2000 VS ???

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/06

Xoltan wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is a good competative
> product out there for the DES/DEV 2000 tools?
>
> Something that costs less?
>
> Xoltan
> xoltan_at_usa.net
> http://www.citynet.net/personal/xoltan/
> ------
> "The surest sign of intelligent life on other planets is that it
> has never
> tried to contact us."
> -Calvin and Hobbes

 As regards 'something that costs less', think LONG and HARD about the ENTIRE cost of your development.

I've been on so many sites where people have shunned PowerBuilder, Oracle Dev2K, etc., and gone Visual Basic because it was 'so much cheaper'. In the long run, the additional cost of add-ons (VBXs, OCXs, etc.), increased development time, and massively increased debugging time (when all the different parts you've bought don't work together and the vendors just keep blaming the 'other' guy) has made this a very, very expensive decision. Also the quality and reusability of Visual Basic systems leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO.

Steve Phelan. Received on Tue May 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT