Max Size of a Trigger

From: Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/05/05

How big can a trigger be? I have a table of 110 columns. I want to check each column for changes, and for each one that changes, insert an entry into an audit table recording before/after images, date/time, who made the change, etc... I can get a clean load upto 83 columns. After I add the 84th, the trigger load fails. I get an error indicating trigger compiled with errors. In user_errors, I get errors indicating bad bind variables, invalid symbols, etc..., but all within the first 30 lines of the trigger. These lines were perfectly valid before I added to the bottom of the trigger. I am of the belief that the errors as recorded in user_errors are not accurate. I think the real error is the size of the trigger. has anyone run into this before?

Please don't flame me about the number of columns in my table, or the need to check every single one. This particular application is a piece of manure that I've been forced to support. It predates modern civilization and was written by the ancestors of the three stooges.

--
jenningse_at_mindspring.com