Re: How do you determine free space in DB?

From: Dick Allie <dallie_at_ionet.net>
Date: 1997/05/05

Dalton M. de Andrade wrote:

> I would like to know how to determine the following:
>
> 1. How much space (in bytes) is allocated in the datafile(s) for a
> database;
>
> 2. How much of the allocated space is used/free;
>
> 3. How much unallocated space there still is in the datafile(s).
>
> We're running Oracle 7.1.4 on a SCOUnix box.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Pls e-mail me at dandrade_at_icao.org.

  1. login as system or dba with access to dba tables and views. Select tablespace_name,file_name,bytes from dba_data_files order by 1,2;
  2. select tablespace_name,type_segment,bytes from dba_segments order by 1,2; This shows space alocated to objects in tablespace.
  3. select * from dba_free_space order by tablespace_name,file_id;
  4. In addition you can analyze all the tables in a tablespace and reference dba_tables for the actual blocks used that are allocated in the tablespace.
  5. Analyze each index and capture the info from index_stats after each index is analyzed to get actual usage of index space allocated.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.

Dick Allie - dallie_at_ionet.net Received on Mon May 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT