Re: Opinions Wanted on Oracle for NT

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/05/05

mwagoner_at_iac.net (Mark Wagoner) writes:

>In short, if you need a quick install with minimal administrative
>maintenance and you are fairly small (100-200 users and < 50G data), NT is
>a more cost-effective approache. If you already have the Unix
>infrastructure and are planning to go large scale, use Unix.

How is Oracle on NT more cost effective than Oracle on Solaris X86 ? Solaris X86 comes with lots of functionality. If I tried to add software to NT to make it more Unix-like I would end up spending lots of money and have a very ugly solution at the end. NT cant even handle incoming email!

Also I am typing this message from Buffalo, NY and the posting nntp server is in Starkville, MS over a secure (ssh) connection, also have sqlplus fired up in another 'screen' session on the remote machine and editing some PL/SQL code and also am modifying crontab data in a different 'screen' session. I do it all the time. I depend on it. How would you do this under NT?

Oh and while we are at it, NT has no 'mail' program. I use the Unix mail program to get SQL/PLUS to mail me reports all the time. How would I do that without dishing out lots of money and spending alot of my time under NT? It too me only a few minutes to get that done under Solaris.

I could go on and on. But I have got to get back to work. When and if you find the answers to the above questions, come back and I'll give you some more.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Mon May 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT