Re: Oracle ODBC and Office 97

From: Paul K. Courtney <pcourtney_at_pine.vpcc.sunysb.edu>
Date: 1997/05/05

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------DCD3958ACE3012D715E93FE9

--------------8326B6B0C1088F12A7870D75

Ed Nixon wrote:

> I had posted a similar query in another group. Larry Elkins was kind
> enough
> to mail me this link to a MS Knowledge base article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q159/5/57.htm
> In effect the article says:
> 1. Define your Oracle DSN as a System DSN
> 2. Create a .dsn file using a text editor. (MSQuery only uses or
> sees
> file-type DSNs. The format/contents of the file:
>           ODBC
> DSN=theNameOfYourSystemDSN
> 3. Save the file as: "theNameOfYourSystemDSN.dsn". Use the quotes
> when
> saving, otherwise Windows95 will mangle the name and you'll loose
> the
> extention. Save the file, for convenience, in the default location
> under
> Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\DSN, although this is not likely
> required.
> 4. Bring up MSQuery and you should find the DSN listed by the create
> query
> wizard.
> Thanks again to Larry; he went through a lot of pain and time to get
> this
> one.          Regards.           ...edn
>
>  Carlos Palomino wrote in article <3356FBE4.1FB2_at_spin.com.mx>...
> >Hi,
> >I downloaded the ODBC driver for Windows 95 (32 bits) from the
 Oracle
> >Site, and It just worked fine with VB 4.0 and Office 95. However  when I
> >installed Office 97 and tried to use Microsoft Query 97, the driver

> >wouldn't load. Even with the testing tool provided with the Oracle  ODBC

> >driver I got the same results.
> >I decided to replace the ODBC related files in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM
> >directory, that were updated when Office 97 installed, with the
 older
> >ones that were there before that, and then the ODBC testing tool  worked
> >fine, but when I tried to access my Oracle database using Microsoft

> >Query 97, I got the message: "Microsoft Query 97 won't work with an  ODBC

> >version prior to 3.0" (or something like that)
> >
> >Could anyone give me some advice?
> >Thank you,
> >
> >Carlos

 Well, I just got through uninstalling Office 97, Office 95 and then re-installing Office 95 and the MS-ODBC adminstrator which does not come from Office 97. Talk about a waste of a day!! I tried the fix alluded to above, but was completely unable to get MS-Query to work. We are currently telling our users to NOT use Office 97 if they also need to access our Oracle Database (the lifeblood of information for the university). I hope that someone somewhere is coming up with a fix for this.

Paul Courtney
Lead Programmer/Analyst
SUNY Stony Brook

--------------8326B6B0C1088F12A7870D75

<HTML><BODY>

Ed Nixon wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I had posted a similar query in another group. Larry
Elkins was kind enough
<BR>to mail me this link to a MS Knowledge base article:
<BR><A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q159/5/57.htm">http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q159/5/57.htm</A>
<BR>In effect the article says:
<BR>1. Define your Oracle DSN as a System DSN
<BR>2. Create a .dsn file using a text editor. (MSQuery only uses or sees
<BR>file-type DSNs. The format/contents of the file:
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ODBC
<BR>DSN=theNameOfYourSystemDSN
<BR>3. Save the file as: "theNameOfYourSystemDSN.dsn". Use the quotes when
<BR>saving, otherwise Windows95 will mangle the name and you'll loose the
<BR>extention. Save the file, for convenience, in the default location under
<BR>Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\DSN, although this is not likely required.
<BR>4. Bring up MSQuery and you should find the DSN listed by the create query
<BR>wizard.
<BR>Thanks again to Larry; he went through a lot of pain and time to get this
<BR>one.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Regards.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
...edn
<BR>
<BR>&nbsp;Carlos Palomino wrote in article &lt;3356FBE4.1FB2_at_spin.com.mx&gt;...
<BR><I>&gt;Hi,</I>
<BR><I>&gt;I downloaded the ODBC driver for Windows 95 (32 bits) from the Oracle</I>
<BR><I>&gt;Site, and It just worked fine with VB 4.0 and Office 95. However when
I</I>
<BR><I>&gt;installed Office 97 and tried to use Microsoft Query 97, the driver</I>
<BR><I>&gt;wouldn't load. Even with the testing tool provided with the Oracle

ODBC</I>

<BR><I>&gt;driver I got the same results.</I>
<BR><I>&gt;I decided to replace the ODBC related files in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM</I>
<BR><I>&gt;directory, that were updated when Office 97 installed, with the older</I>
<BR><I>&gt;ones that were there before that, and then the ODBC testing tool worked</I>
<BR><I>&gt;fine, but when I tried to access my Oracle database using Microsoft</I>
<BR><I>&gt;Query 97, I got the message: "Microsoft Query 97 won't work with an
ODBC</I>
<BR><I>&gt;version prior to 3.0" (or something like that)</I>
<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt;Could anyone give me some advice?</I>
<BR><I>&gt;Thank you,</I>
<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt;Carlos</I>
<BR><I>&gt;</I>
</BLOCKQUOTE>

&nbsp;Well, I just got through uninstalling Office 97, Office 95 and then re-installing Office 95 and the MS-ODBC adminstrator which does not come from Office 97.&nbsp; Talk about a waste of a day!!&nbsp; I tried the fix alluded to above, but was completely unable to get MS-Query to work.&nbsp; We are currently telling our users to NOT use Office 97 if they also need to access our Oracle Database (the lifeblood of information for the university).&nbsp;&nbsp; I hope that someone somewhere is coming up with a fix for this.
<BR>
<BR>Paul Courtney
<BR>Lead Programmer/Analyst
<BR>SUNY Stony Brook

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------8326B6B0C1088F12A7870D75--

--------------DCD3958ACE3012D715E93FE9

begin:vcard

fn:Courtney, Paul

n:Courtney;Paul

org:SUNY Stony Brook

adr:;;Zip-2635;Stony Brook;NY;11794;

email;internet:pcourtney_at_pine.vpcc.sunysb.edu

title:Lead Programmer/Analyst

tel;work:516-632-9241

tel;home:516-727-5051

x-mozilla-cpt:;0