Re: How can I find how many instances in a server

From: Bola Ogunlana <bolao_at_incads.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/03

In article <5ka675$cle$1_at_cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, Shaochun Lin <lovedog_at_gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> writes

>How many instances in a server(down or up). Is there a
>way we can find it or some UNIX file storing this kind of info.
>Any words would be appreciated. Thanks, Shaochun,

To find the number (& instance names) of databases that are up and available you can use a command like ;

ps -ef|grep ora_smon

as Spencer Olson suggested.

Additionally, a list of all databases on a perticular server tends to be kept in a file named "oratab". This file whose location varies depending on the UNIX version (eg /etc/oratab on Sequents and /var/opt/oracle on SUNs) is mainly used by the dbstart/dbshut scripts to start or stop databases when a UNIX box is bounced. Ideally, this should be a comprehensive list but it really depends on whether whomever created the database put it on this list or not. Its not mandatory to have an instance name in there.

--
Bola Ogunlana