Re: sybase to oracle stored procedure conversion

From: Rona Crystal <r#as#crystal_at_d#as#ri.mc#as#graw-hill.com>
Date: 1997/05/02

In article <862534019.21644_at_dejanews.com>, sanjiv_at_west.bri.com says...

>Hi All,
>
>We need some help to convert huge number of Sybase stored procedures to
>Oracle Stored procedures. Can you give some ideas for:
>- Tools avble for this automation as possible
>- Any areas to watch out
>- any features that need to be taken care of specifically
>-can any one share their experience and how much time say it may take for
>100 stored procedures of average complexity (say 100 lines) might take for
>conversion
>
>Any ideas, views, help will be great...thks

Ask your Oracle rep about S2O (Sybase to Oracle). It was developed for consultants who make a career out of converting databases. It's system specific so you need to get the right version. I looked at it but decided to just rewrite everything. I was changing part of the design anyway and wanted to take advantage of Oracle features. Also we had an old version of Sybase that didn't have loops so the code got converted into PL/SQL without loops. Even if it works for you, you may still have to rewrite parts of the stored procedures, but at least part is better then the whole in this case.

Good luck,
Rona Crystal

--
Note: My email address has been modified to discourage unsolicited
commercial and offensive email that is sent by bulk mailers.  To