Re: Opinions Wanted on Oracle for NT

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1997/05/02

Well, now that you have heard from the Unix bigots, here is a little unbiased opinion.

We are an ISV offering an Oracle system on either HP/UX or NT 4.0 (yes, Oracle is certified on NT 4.0). We have 80 customers running NT and 5 running HP/UX mostly because of the price/perfomance difference and ease of administration.

Both the HP and the NT systems operate 24x7 and both have the exact same features. In addition to the database box, we also use either an NT or HP box as an application server, which may or may not be the same as the database box.

In short, there is very little difference between what you can do with either. You can get roughly the same performance (assuming you through enough hardware at it) up to a point. Then the UX box will exceed NT. This is the only practicle difference.

In short, if you need a quick install with minimal administrative maintenance and you are fairly small (100-200 users and < 50G data), NT is a more cost-effective approache. If you already have the Unix infrastructure and are planning to go large scale, use Unix.

Let the flames begin.

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_medplus.com (work)