Re: Scheduling Backups on NT

From: Frank Sullivan <sullivaf_at_netcomuk.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/02

In article <01bc55f6$15069540$628285ce_at_primenet.primenet.com>,

        "Ian Sparkes" <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com> wrote:

>I've recently been attempting to schedule an off-line backup on NT 3.5.1
>with a 7.3 database and have been running into some unexpected problems.
>
>When the shutdown script run the backup.bat script exited and never gets to
>the backup statement. Also the startup script starts the database up and
>then it immediately shuts down.
>
>I tried replacing the shutdown/startup scripts with oradim73 but a) It
>seems to asynchronously send a shutdown to the service, therefore there is
>no assurance that the Db is down by the time ntbackup runs and b) the
>startup with oradim73 was ignored.
>
>I haven't had a chance to research this yet but it seems like real strange
>behavior and either there is a significant problem or I've done something
>stupid.
>
>Anybody have an idea what is going on ?
>
>I used the .bat/.sql files below
>
>shutdown.sql
> connect internal
> shutdown immediate
> startup restrict
> shutdown
>
>startup.sql
> connect internal
> startup
>
>shutdown.bat
> svrmgr23 shutdown
>
>startup.bat
> svrmgr23 @startup
>
>backup.bat
> shutdown
> ntbackup .....
> startup

 Hi,

Don't use connect internal to shut down.

Try a batch file that calls on oradim73 (something like the strtxxxx.cmd in the ORANT\DATABASE directory provided by Oracle that start the instance xxxx. I can't remember the exact syntax but I can post it too you next week if you like?

What we do is:

Full database export

Shut instance(s) down

Full NT backup

Start up instances (using strtxxxx) where xxxx is the instance identifier

To my knowledge there is noy way to check that the instance has shut ok - you have to check manually later.

Have you got Enterprise Manager - that can be used to schedule backups (although I prefer the method above).

Regards

Frank Received on Fri May 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT