Re: Character Set WE8ISO8859P1 for Oracle

From: Christian Guenther <christian.guenther_at_mch.sbs.de>
Date: 1997/05/02

Doug Harris wrote:

> Robert Mueller <mueller_at_lindenau.informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote in
> article
> <Pine.GSO.3.96.970429185604.706T-100000_at_lindenau.informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.
> .
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > ... when processing the create database statement with the command
> >
> > character set WE8ISO8859P1;
> >
> > Oracle tells me that this is an unknown character set, so what do I have
> > to do. How do I have to additionally install this (strange) character
> set?
>
> What platform are you on? This is really a very common character set
> character sets. Also,. you may want to triple check your spelling in the
> create database (You posted it correctly).

Another possibility is, if you are using Oracle V7.2 or V7.3, you have to set an environment variable ORA_NLS and (on some ports, look at your documentation) in V7.3 ORA_NLS32. The Value for both variables is $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data.
If you don't set this variable(s) Oracle only know the default character set US7ASCII. That's because from 7.2 on, Oracle loads character sets dynamically.

Bye Chris Received on Fri May 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT