Re: best parameters for tablepsace

From: Bill Beaton <beatonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1997/05/01

In article <33676313.5DD1_at_csc.com>,

        Bob Yeh <tyeh_at_csc.com> writes:
>Hi,
>
>Most people I have seen set the tablespace pctincrease to 0, 1 or
>50(default) or 100. They all have their own pros and cons.
>
>With the new features of 7.3, I want to set
>autoextend on,
>maxsize unlimited,

Personally, I'd set this one so that my filesystem can never be overextended. If you use autoextend a lot, there are an awful lot of interactions that you have to account for in order to add datafiles in time. I only use this parameter on 1 or two datafiles per filesystem, typically 1 in which the growth is small, and predictable, and a second in which the growth can be swift, and somewhat unpredictable. This control is not as important if growth is small, or if you can readily rerun update tasks after increasing datafile size and/or adding a datafile. I like to keep total control of my database, so only use autoextend a minor amount.

>maxextents unlimited,
>pceincrease 1.

I'm a fan of pctincrease 0 ... again to maximize my control over the DB.

>Is this a good choice? What are the things need to watch out for?

I'd also look at the type of update activity ... if a data file typically gets emptied before being replaced with updated activity, I'd also set pctfree 1 pctused 99, to avoid having huge amounts of the datafile wasted (by default 40%).

>Thanks.
>Bob

Bill