SQL*Net and NT 4.0

From: Howard Kim <hkim_at_spacelab.net>
Date: 1997/05/01

Howdy,

I've been trying to configure SQL*Net server where I've installed Personal Oracle 7 for NT, which is supposed to be easy, but fails miserably.

I have used Easy SQL*Net config. to set up a database alias, and after starting the listener up, I tnsping it and it comes out okay. However, when I try to connect to it via SQL*Plus for example, I get an internal TNS error.

I'm running the client and server on the same machine for testing purposes, but this ERROR: ORA-12196: TNS:received an error from TNS keeps popping up.

I believe I've configured the tnsnames.ora (via Easy SQL*Net config) and listener.ora correctly. The TNS error messages seem to be in a separate document for OS specific errors, but as of yet I have not yet found the error descriptions.

Am I missing an obvious step here? According to the SQL*Net docs, this should be painless. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
hkim_at_spacelab.net                                       Redshift
Technologies Inc.