Re: Scheduling Backups on NT

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1997/05/01

"Ian Sparkes" <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com> wrote:

>I've recently been attempting to schedule an off-line backup on NT 3.5.1
>with a 7.3 database and have been running into some unexpected problems.

>When the shutdown script run the backup.bat script exited and never gets to
>the backup statement. Also the startup script starts the database up and
>then it immediately shuts down.

>I tried replacing the shutdown/startup scripts with oradim73 but a) It
>seems to asynchronously send a shutdown to the service, therefore there is
>no assurance that the Db is down by the time ntbackup runs and b) the
>startup with oradim73 was ignored.

>I haven't had a chance to research this yet but it seems like real strange
>behavior and either there is a significant problem or I've done something
>stupid.

>Anybody have an idea what is going on ?

>I used the .bat/.sql files below

>shutdown.sql
> connect internal
> shutdown immediate
> startup restrict
> shutdown

>startup.sql
> connect internal
> startup

>shutdown.bat
> svrmgr23 shutdown

>startup.bat
> svrmgr23 @startup

>backup.bat
> shutdown
> ntbackup .....
> startup

When you submit the job, I have found that NTBACKUP requires the /INTERACTIVE switch to work properly. Also, since you are using a .BAT file, you need to tell AT to create a command processor (CMD). Another problem I had was there was a BACKUP.EXE on my system, so I renamed my .BAT file to eliminate any confusion.

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_medplus.com (work)