Re: RAID5 Hardware vs NT (software)

From: Allan Taunt <ataunt_at_swichtec.co.nz>
Date: 1997/05/01

Hi there Xoltan,

Use hardware Raid - NT Raid is good but it has a CPU overhead, also NT Raid requires manual intervention if the system disk fails.

There are a few issues you need to consider when selecting storage:

  1. Types of disk access: Oracle NT has 4 main type of components that are accessed. They are Oracle executables, Database, Redo logs, and Archive Logs. In addition to this you have the Windows NT system files. What you should try to do is try to organise your disks so that types of access are together (i.e. Don't put sequential access components on the same physical disk as random access files. This means keep the redo logs on a separate disk, separate from the data.
  2. Separate your components for redundancy Don't put you archive logs on the same disk as the data. If you loose this disk you would have to go back to the previous tape backup.

I'll consider the Compaq solution as I know these machines best. Put the Windows NT system and Oracle executables on a Raid 1 (mirrored) set. (e.g. 2.1GB usable)
Put the Oracle redo logs on another Raid 1 (mirrored) set. (e.g. 1GB usable)
Put the Oracle datafiles on a Raid 5 set, using as many disks as possible to spread the IO.

We have also found the Compaq Smart-2 Raid controllers perform very well.

Bear in mind that there are many options depending on your finances (e.g use Raid 0+1 with many 1GB drives for the data if you can afford it.)

Hope this helps,

Allan.

 Xoltan wrote in article <01bc558f$0ab8d1a0$34fd00cf_at_hdaffin>...