Re: Connectivity to tuexdo

From: Mark McNulty <mmcnul_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1997/05/01

In article 1d921ece_at_rick1234.imperium.net, "Rick Klainer" <rick1234_at_imperium.net> () writes:

> We have just installed tuexdo and I need connectivity to oracle7 running on
> a unix and tuexdo is running on a unix. The same server. I would appreciate
> any help or suggestions. thanks in advance

You might want to have Tuxedo running on SEVERAL machines, not just on your database server. If it only lives on your database server, then you lose alot of the advantages of using n-tier architecture, because the database and business logic are on the same machine. This would be like using stored procedures for all your business logic- it gives you some advantages, but doesn't really allow lots of load balancing. I guess you would still get other advantages like being able to use services instead of the database for some things, messaging, reliable queues, asynch. processing, etc. Oh, you also won't get failover support, where if your box goes down Tuxedo won't be able to find alternate servers (then again, if this box has your production database, then you're out of luck anyway if it goes down).

See if you can get a eval version of Prolifics for Tuxedo, with Oracle database drivers (Prolifics supports Pro*C and OCI for Oracle). This should get you up and running pretty fast, where you can use Prolifics to make your clients (Unix, Web, PC, whatever) and your services (running whereever Tuxedo lives) and the Prolifics services talk to Oracle, and they use Tuxedo to talk to each other. Prolifics is a visual tool, so you can drag objects from your repository into your screens and services. It also has a bunch of library functions, so it should be able to hide alot of the low level Tuxedo and Oracle stuff from you.

Prolifics also has a JetNet edition, where they use a subset of Tuxedo, for those who don't want to invest in a full scale version of Tuxedo (though I bet alot of folks will upgrade). They are looking at MS Viper support as well.

I know they'll let you download eval copies for Windows (and Mac?) at www.prolifics.com, but I think they only have the 2-tier version available for downloading (though this includes the Web version).

Prolifics even has some wizards, so you should be able to import your database objects into a Prolifics repository, fire up the wizards, answer some questions, and it'll crank out user screens and 3-tier services. So as long as you install Tuxedo and Prolifics and Oracle, and each peice is running, you should be able to build some simple apps in a couple of hours.

Realisticly, I bet you'd want to optimize or re-write some of the screens and services by hand, but at least the wizard should get you up and running.

Tuxedo also has interfaces to Oracle, so you can use those, with or without Prolifics.

Give BEA a call, and tell them that you want to see something up and running. Most companies selling expensive software like Tuxedo will send folks out to help the customers, especially new ones.

Good luck,
Mark McNulty
mmcnul_at_jyacc.com

Note- these views are mine and not those of JP Morgan or JYACC. Received on Thu May 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT