Re: Benchmarking - Counting Lines of Oracle App. Code

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/30

In article <tJPMcDAs7eZz0wZ7_at_hinckdev.demon.co.uk>, Roger Tickner <roger_at_hinckdev.demon.co.uk> writes
>We are performing an Application Development & Support Benchmarking
>exercise.
>
>To do this we are required to perform a count of 'logical lines of code'
>within our application. This includes Forms 3, and SQL*Reportwriter
>V1.1
>
>Does anyone have any experience or information regarding the best way to
>tackle this mamouth task or any standard rules or techniques. Any help
>would be gratefully received.
>
>Thanks

Roger,

The easiest thing to do is to point out that lines-of-code is a totally meaningless thing to measure.

If you are going to benchmark, try to measure something of use e.g. function point analysis.

Andy
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request